Re: [E1000-devel] Supporting platforms with no EEPROM?

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

Hi,

>> we don't want to support this in the default drivers, but maybe we could
>> in the kernel with a Kconfig option that defaulted to off.
>
> This could be acceptable, we would only turn that option on the iop32x
> kernel. It's sub-optimal, as some iop32x boards have PCI slots.

I don't know which iop32x configurations are enabled in the default
iop32x kernel but there are some boards with e1000 which do have the
eeprom so imho unless you do some kind of runtime detection, I fear
you'll break theses boards.

Arnaud Patard