Re: [E1000-devel] Supporting platforms with no EEPROM?

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 10:23:06AM -0700, Brandeburg, Jesse wrote:
> we don't officially support eepromless designs in our normal drivers
> (most embedded users expect to modify their drivers).  I know that there
> is some test patches to allow the eepromless set up in our drivers, that
> our TME teams have been working on.

We (Debian) use same mainline based kernel sources for all supported
platforms, so modifying e1000 driver in this way is not really a option.
It risks breaking desktop users. Also, we want to avoid carrying patches
against upstream as much as possible. So we'd really like a
upstream-acceptable way.

> we don't want to support this in the default drivers, but maybe we could
> in the kernel with a Kconfig option that defaulted to off.

This could be acceptable, we would only turn that option on the iop32x
kernel. It's sub-optimal, as some iop32x boards have PCI slots.

Btw, I notice IGB driver supports eeprom-less operation one some
hardware revisions.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups