Re: thecus n2100 armel lenny upgrade, won't boot

On Saturday 30 August 2008 11:06:32 Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Joost Yervante Damad <joost@damad.be> [2008-08-30 10:31]:
> > The problem remains. The /etc/fstab parse error is quite wierd, however
> > the guessed root device is correct :) I really begin to suspect a bug in
> > mkinitramfs-kpkg ...
>
> Can you downgrade initramfs-tools and update the initramfs with:
>   update-initramfs -u
>   flash-kernel

I picked the one I installed on May 30:

dpkg - warning: downgrading initramfs-tools from 0.92f to 0.92b.
(Reading database ... 31272 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace initramfs-tools 0.92f (using
initramfs-tools_0.92b_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement initramfs-tools ...
Setting up initramfs-tools (0.92b) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-iop32x
Warning: /etc/fstab parse error; guessing that the root device is /dev/sda1

update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-iop32x
Warning: /etc/fstab parse error; guessing that the root device is /dev/sda1

I run all these commands chroot-ed from out of the initramfs shell, so
this all is of course not 100% clean...

flash-kernel version: 1.11
# flash-kernel
Flashing kernel... done.
Flashing initramfs... done.

> P.S. Regarding the fstab parsing problem, which version of
> flash-kernel do you have installed?

1.11.
 Aparently the warning comes from the flash_kernel_set_root initramfs hook in
flash-kernel?

It looks like either it is not caused by initramfs-tools or the bug somehow
keeps itself active perhaps due to me running the commands from a not fully
booted system... (but this was not the case the first time I ran into the
issue, that was a normal upgrade on a fully running system)

Joost

--
homepage: http://damad.be/joost
photo/blog: http://damad.be/joost/blog