Re: bootloader & kernel on Nokia N810

green <greenfreedom10@gmail.com> writes:

Hi !

> I'm trying to run Debian Sid armel on the Nokia N810.
>
> I have built a Debian Sid armel chroot on the N810 and have successfully
> compiled several kernels, and sent them to the N810 using the flasher.
>
> However, from what I can tell, none of the kernels have booted successfully,
> and nothing more than the "NOKIA" splash screen is ever displayed.  I have
> enabled R&D mode on the device and disabled the lifeguard-reset flag.  I am
> wondering: is it possible to somehow get output from the kernel instead of only
> "NOKIA"?  Especially without using serial access because I can't find the
> serial output that the N810 supposedly has.

The serial console is not a good idea imho. From what I heard, some
nokia devs have broken a bunch of n800/n810 by playing with the serial
port.

> Much of the trouble I have had has been because of my ignorance concerning the
> ARM architecture and the relationship between bootloader stages, the kernel,
> the initfs, and the rootfs; please pardon my ignorance.  I've searched lots for
> more information without significant success.
>
> Perhaps I need CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE / CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE set?  I tried
> and got build errors but can investigate more if necessary.

Enable CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE and some fonts and disable
CONFIG_FB_OMAP_MANUAL_UPDATE. This should do the trick.

> I have used these kernel sources:
>  maemo 2008 kernel
>   http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo4.0.1/free/k/kernel-source-rx-34/
>  2.6.25 with omap patch
>   http://www.muru.com/linux/omap/patches/

If you want wifi, stick with the maemo kernel, boot with nokia initfs
and chroot into your debian.
If you don't care about wifi, there are patches here :
http://www.muru.com/linux/n8x0/ You can try omap git tree but  iirc,
there are some  missing patches (I didn't check recently so take it with
a grain of salt).

> And the attached configs:
>  maemo-rx-34.config
>  2.6.25-omap1.config
>
> These are not the only configs I've used, of course.
>
> If there is a better place for me to get help with this, please mention it.
> I've looked for Nokia lists but there is nothing in the archive of the few I've
> found concerning compiling a custom kernel, modifying the rootfs, modifying the
> initfs, or anything else of that sort.  I will try at the
> linux-arm-kernel@lists.arm.linux.org.uk list if I don't get any answers here.

You can also try on linux-omap@vger.kernel.org
(http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-omap).

Arnaud