Re: is the NSLU2 installer broken? Update and new problem.

Update:

> > What did work for me was to copy the contents of a working lenny
> > (cat /dev/mtdblock* > image.bin) and
> > I sercom'ed (or upsluged) it into the faulty lenny but that is not a
> > recommended approach, but in this case it did work ;)
>
> I'm about to try that with am image taken from my original (working)
> slug which has kernel 2.6.24-1-ixp4xx.

Well that worked.

I installed again from scratch using the latest image from
http://www.slug-firmware.net/d-dls.php (5.0 beta 1). This is the same
image I have used successfully in the past.

Again the installation went fine right until the end when the new image
was flashed. The slug refused to boot. I unhooked the disk and checked
the kernel in /boot confirming it as 2.6.24-1.

I then reflashed the new slug with an image taken from my existing
running slug. Success. The new slug now boots correctly and will
shortly be in use.

/But/ after this success I then ran apt-get upgrade on my older
slug to bring it into line with the new one. That trashed the older
slug (symptoms as before - failure to get past redboot loader stage,
steady amber light). So I reflashed back to the earlier backup
image to get it working again.

So - in conclusion I had two problems. Firstly the image in 5.0
beta 1 fails when used in conjunction with the with the current
lenny distro. Secondly, an upgrade to the latest kernel from the
distro site also causes a failure on reboot.

The image which works is : linux-image-2.6.24-1-ixp4xx-(2.6.24-5)
The image which fails is : linux-image-2.6.24-1-ixp4xx-(2.6.24-6)

Mick