Re: Two etch on nslu2 related questions

Am Montag, 24. März 2008 schrieb Martin Michlmayr:
> Sorry for the delay.
>
> * Rainer Dorsch <rdorsch@web.de> [2008-03-01 15:17]:
> > - my backup stick is only 1 GB whereas my regular one is 2 GB.
> >
> >   I created the same partitions on the backup stick and copied all
> >   files (using cp -ra). The nslu2 rejects to boot from the backup
> >   stick, I see no entries in the syslog.
> >
> >   Any idea why this does not work?
>
> I'd use tar instead of cp but I'm not sure that's the problem.  But
> what about /sys and /proc?  Did you copy those.  I'd exclude those and
> just create empty directories.

Thanks. Using tar instead of cp solved the problem. /proc and /sys have been
empty, because I was copying the stick on a standard Linux PC, not while
running on the nslu2 itself.

> > - I was running on my spare nslu2 some time ago Debian etch as well
> >   (prerelease probably). Judging from the syslog it boots but it is
> >   looking for kernel modules 2.6.18-3 for the ixp4xx ethernet driver
> >   which are not on my flash stick anymore.
> >
> >   I am tempted to add an init script (at the end of the init process)
> >   which does a "dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-6-ixp4xx"
>
> You mean to write it to flash?  You could just run flash-kernel
> 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx.  But if 2.6.18-6-ixp4xx is installed on your machine,
> I could also give you a firmware image that you could write with
> upslug2.

Yes, I want to write it to flash. Since everything works fine, would it work
to backup a flash image as described at

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/CompletelyBackupTheNSLU2

?

My RedBoot parition table looks slightly different (there is a "loader" but
no "Flashdisk").

Searching for RedBoot partition table in IXP4XX-Flash.0 at offset 0x7e0000
6 RedBoot partitions found on MTD device IXP4XX-Flash.0
Creating 6 MTD partitions on "IXP4XX-Flash.0":
0x00000000-0x00040000 : "RedBoot"
0x00040000-0x00060000 : "SysConf"
0x00060000-0x00080000 : "Loader"
0x00080000-0x001e0000 : "Kernel"
0x001e0000-0x007e0000 : "Ramdisk"
0x007e0000-0x00800000 : "FIS directory"

Would the appropriate way to create a firmware image be

dd if=/dev/mtdblock0 of=redboot.bin
dd if=/dev/mtdblock1 of=sysconf.bin
dd if=/dev/mtdblock2 of=loader.bin
dd if=/dev/mtdblock3 of=kernel.bin
dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=ramdisk.bin
dd if=/dev/mtdblock5 of=fisdir.bin

cat redboot.bin sysconf.bin loader.bin kernel.bin ramdisk.bin fisdir.bin >
fullimage.bin

?

Many thanks,
Rainer