Re: armel boxes for Debian

Firstly, congrats for Zobel, we understand that you have more
important stuff to do than read this mail now :)

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:05:17PM +0000, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> There are 3 buildd boxes (all of them Thecus N2100 boxes), two hosted by
> Riku and the third by me. They are almost keeping up with the archive.

Well, you could have asked from me on IRC as well? :)

The original plan was to Zobel to order 4 Thecuses (3 buildd's, 1 Porter
machine for DD's to log into), and retire the current Buildd's to
kernel/toolchain/whatever porting.

However, since then 3 buildd's have proven not be enough. Many packages
that are now buildable due to the porting work and gfortran transition
are really slow to build, and it's only going to get the closer we get
to 99%.

I'm still not really worried, we can allways allocate the three old
Thecus buildd's back as official debian buildd's. As long as they
are all identical hardware and identically configured, the maintainence
overhead should be quite tolerable.

The security buildd is a different story. Parallell buildd's compiling
several packages at time don't help[1], they want single builds
completed fast, so they can release security advisories with minimal
delay. For this reason, Moritz from the security team expressed
being unpleased with the speed of a Thecus and want something faster
as buildd.

Cheers,
Riku

[1] in some point of future using DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS parallel=X and
distcc could make that possible, but those options need much more
testing first.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups