source package of 2.6.22-3-ixp4xx somehow missing ixp4xx_npe driver

hello everybody

since I wanted to try out ATA over ethernet on my NSLU2, and the 'aoe' module is missing in the 2.6.22-3-ixp4xx kernel, I fetched the source package of the 2.6.22-3-ixp4xx kernel, fired up menuconfig, made my choices, compiled it on the NLSU2 itself (takes ages) and was left with a kernel which had no ixp4xx_npe driver, even the kernel config is missing the "CONFIG_IXP4XX_NPE=" entry. interestingly, the binary package does have the driver.

how do I get the ethernet driver in my self-compiled kernel? thanks for any ideas.

--
regards
nicola