From: Lennart Sorensen [mailto:lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca]
Sent: 27 January 2008 01:31
To: Martin Guy
Cc: Sam Reed; debian-arm@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Filesystems for Debian NSLU2

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 05:42:31AM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
> Not used JFS, but used reiserfs on x86 and ARMs for years and never
> lost a byte, no matter how roughly I treated them. ext3 is slow,
> probably due to being ext2 fs with some extra stuff on top, and it has
> happened that the underlying ext2 filesystem gets corrupted badly
> enough in a power failure that the journal can't be recovered, which
> rather defeats the whole point of it.

Certainly in the past I have had data corrupted (silently too which I
think is the worst way) by reiserfs due to it only journaling meta data.
It was perfectly happy to partially overwrite a file and claim
everything was perfectly fine after a power failure.  ext3 by default
does ordered writes and writes file changes to free blocks before
updating the meta data and then freeing the old blocks.  Way safer to me.
ext3 also supports full journalling for the truly paranoid.

I also trust the maintainers of ext3 to know what they are doing much
more so than reiserfs.

--
Len Sorensen