Re: NSLU2 hang on "Setting system clock.."

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 05:00:22PM +1000, Nathan Coad wrote:
> >>Try using hwclock to set the clock, and see if that clears up the
> >>problem.
> >
> >I tried that as well.  No dice.
> >
> >  # hwclock --systohc
> >
> >This causes the system to lock-up as well.
> >

> I had this problem with an nslu2 that I hadn't used for quite some
> time, and then I installed debian.
>
> I resolved the issue by disconnecting the nslu2 from all power, then
> removing the cmos battery, leaving it out for a while and then
> replacing it.  Afterwards the system clock worked properly, although
> the time was initially set to the epoch.

I thought of that but haven't tried it.  I've been trying to figure
out what the problem is so that we can fix it in the kernel.

On reading the data sheet, there isn't anything I can see that has to
be enabled to get the clock to run.  It may be a matter of clearing
the on-chip eeprom (if there is one--the data sheet isn't clear on
this point).

So, I'm a little afraid of fixing it until I know why it is broken.
Thanks for the suggestion as it may lead to an answer.