What is Best OS for PC for NSLU2/debian/arm development?

I've been trying to install debian on my PC for the purpose of
cross-compiling NSLU2/debian kernels and developing NSLU2 applications.

Unfortunately, all the PC debian installations died three months ago so I
shelved the project. I just downloaded debian etch 4.0R0 and tried again and
go the same kernel panic on my PC.

 Knoppix, Ubuntu, SuSE and Fedora seem to install fine. Are any of these
good choices?

Siegfried