Re: Palm as terminal for slug - no luck with ncurses application.

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:26:42AM -0700, Bernard Dudley wrote:
> I want to use my Palm PDA as a terminal for my slug, and it works well, except that ncurses apps don't work properly. I started a thread at the debian forums - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14617 - but no responses.
>
> Can someone tell me that this is (i) impossible (ii) hard for a dumbo (iii) easy? And if the answer is ii or iii, then maybe a bit more info/links would be lovely.
>
> I think that if I could get the Palm to tell the slug how big its
> screen is, or get the slug to produce a terminal with a specific
> screen size, that might fix it. I've tried two different apps on the
> Palm, called ptelnet (free), and Online (Shareware). Neither is very
> configurable, so I think the solution has to come from the slug end.
> But I can't find anything in 'man getty' that applies.

Set the LINES and COLUMNS environment variable. If your palm has a very
specific TERM variable, edit your termcap to say that it has only
so-and-so much lines and columns.

--
Shaw's Principle:
	Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will