Palm as terminal for slug - no luck with ncurses application.

I want to use my Palm PDA as a terminal for my slug, and it works well, except that ncurses apps don't work properly. I started a thread at the debian forums - http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=14617 - but no responses.

Can someone tell me that this is (i) impossible (ii) hard for a dumbo (iii) easy? And if the answer is ii or iii, then maybe a bit more info/links would be lovely.

I think that if I could get the Palm to tell the slug how big its screen is, or get the slug to produce a terminal with a specific screen size, that might fix it. I've tried two different apps on the Palm, called ptelnet (free), and Online (Shareware). Neither is very configurable, so I think the solution has to come from the slug end. But I can't find anything in 'man getty' that applies.

If anyone else is trying this, you should know before you start that it doesn't seem to be possible to use a Palm keyboard and the usb/serial connection at the same time. I read on a keyboard manufacturer's site that this is because both the keyboard and the connection use the same serial port. I'm hoping there might be a way around this by connecting a USB keyboard directly to the slug, but that's for another day.