Re: How can I mount a USB harddrive to Debian4.0r0/NSLU2

Who cares wrote:
> Install debian 4.0 + LAMP +Samba on NSLU2. The debian is in a 2GB
> flashdrive attached to USB1 port. They work well.
>
> A usb harddrive is pluged to USB 2 port. The enclosure uses cypress USB/
> Oxford 1394 chipsets. HDD is maxtor 200GB IDE, formated as NTFS with my
> windowsXP. The usb HDD was detected by Debian installer. But now the
> disk2 LED of NSLU2 is off.
>
> How to get it work under Debian? Can I use NTFS in Debain/NSLU2? Can I
> fdisk it into 2 partations, one for mldonkey, one for other use. Can I
> use a USB hub to attach two HDD to USB2.

Yes you can use a USB hub. You can use NTFS in Debian using ntfs-3g,
which is a fuse based mechanism for mounting/managing NTFS volumes. I
wouldn't recommend NTFS as a filesystem though - I'd imagine you'll get
better performance from a native Linux filesystem (e.g. ext3).

The LEDs on the Slug under Debian provide different information than
usual unslung or the Linksys firmware:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/FAQ

fdisk is the easiest way (imho) to create the partitions you require. by
the way, be aware of the known issue of having more than one hard disk
attached:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountDisksByLabel

Jon