Re: officially support the jornadas 7xx series in debian arm port

On 2007-02-20 01:04 -0300, rafael2k wrote:
> hi all,
> I've been using debian arm in my hp jornada 710 (a very usefull handheld)
> since a lot of time, and there is no information about it in the debian arm
> port webpage.
> there is also a debian distro for the HP Jornada (with very few
> customizations):
> http://720degrees.org/
>
> I'd like to help supporting the hp jornada in the official debian distribution
> (like bootloader issues).

Great. Thank for wanting to help. Given your existing debootstrap-only
install mechanism conventional install support is going to be tricky.
Debian support generally for handhelds is currently pretty weak so you
will be pushing into new territory to some extent. This needs doing
IMHO but you may have to work to persuade people with a 'desktop' view
of the world.

I hesitate to say how you should proceed. If you already know what
changes you want in debian then just send in patches, or discuss them
here if they might be controversial.

If not you need to get the patches into the mainline kernel and the
journada enabled in the kernel build, talk to the debian-installer
people about whether there is any point trying to support it there or
just ignore that bit, and talk to embedded debian about using their
minimised and more handheld-freindly (unfinished) variant in the
future.

Is you exsiting distro using kernel 2.6 or not? The web page suggests
it might not be.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/

believed to be clean.