Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Monday 12 February 2007 19:04, Joey Hess wrote:
> Laz wrote:
> > Is the arm-el port the same as the EABI port or is that different
> > again? It looked like there were about three different arm ports and
> > I couldn't really work out which was best for me!
>
> armel and eabi are the same thing. There is also an armeb port but very
> few systems need to run big endian anymore.

I remembered the armeb port after I'd sent my last message. I read
somewhere that the NSLU2 is natively big endian but can run in little
endian mode (could be making that up though!).

> > Is it possible to dist-upgrade from debian-arm to the EABI port or is
> > it a complete reinstall? If so, is it a "by hand" install or is there
> > an installer image for it?
>
> It's a complete reinstall, or a very tricky by-hand on the fly mass
> upgrade of everything. Noone has figured out a good way to do the
> latter procedure, but it's theoretically possible.

A complete reinstall would be possible on my "spare" Slug. I think I saw a
wiki page describing the installation.

> There is not yet even a distributed kernel package for eabi for the
> slug, yet alone an installer, but watch this space.

I'll see what info I can find: I'm quite willing to "get my hands dirty"
but I'm not sure I want to try compiling a kernel on one of these things!

Cheers,

Laz