Re: Armel userspace performance regression

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 11:25:54AM +0300, Eugene Sanivsky wrote:
>    I am experiencing serious performance regression with new armel
>    libc/compiler.

>    I see up to 45% degradation in Samba throughput for example.

Samba is a very complex piece of software, and you have changed every
single component related to it except the kernel. Do you have any less
complex banchmarks?

>    Same Samba versions used for benchmarking (3.0.25b).

Did you compile samba with same options both times?

>    Any ideas why?

Since I have not been blessed with gift of prescience, I only have
some guesses. Samba should not be cpu or integer calculation -bound,
but rather io-bound. In fact, samba should just use sendfile() to
page data out. Thus it would seem unlikely a compiler issue. I'd
guess:

- Samba ended up compiled/configured with different options. The
default samba in debian comes out with almost everything enabled by
default.

- Somehow cache ends up being used completly inefficently. If your
platform supports oprofile, it could help tracing this issue.

- There is something wrong with the nptl code in glibc2.5.

>    Actions?

Try to find a more isolated test case or a synthetic benchmark
to reproduce the issue.