Re: upgrade debian kernel on nslu2

En/na Marc Singer ha escrit:
On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 10:43:54PM +0200, Xan wrote:
En/na johan.vervloet@gmail.com ha escrit:
On 27 jul, 22:00, Xan <DXpubl...@telefonica.net> wrote:
Johan, can you maintain me informed about what you follow _exactly_ for
installing new kernel? I have nslu2 and I have installed debian
following de same link too. I want to compile new kernel that were the
same nslu2 has now + pax support. I searched info but no info convinced
me. I'm a novice user (I compile kernel in i386 machines but no nslu2)
It seemed that I just needed an updated version of the pegasus kernel
module, which is included in the kernel-image of testing:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/admin/linux-image-ixp4xx

So I just downloaded the deb, and installed it using apt-get.

Okay thank you very much, but how to put the new kernel in the boot loader?

Steps are:
1) apt-get install linux-image-ipx4xx
2) [make menuinstall?]
3) [put the new kernel in boot loader?]

Can you clarify me

Thanks a lot,
Xan.

I'm not sure what you mean about putting the kernel in the boot
loader.

The kernel is written to a partition in flash where the boot loader
looks for it.  You don't need to do anything to the boot loader or
boot loader environment to use a new kernel.

Yes. By "putting the kernel in the boot loader" I mean the process of what the slug boots the new compiled kernel instead of old.

Can you clarify me?
What's the simplest way to update the new kernel? Is it necessary to have gcc installed in slug?. When we have compiled new kernel how to substitute the old one? And how to delete the old kernel from slug?

Xan.