Re: Debian D-Link DNS-323

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 12:47:12AM +0200, Mikael Rudberg wrote:
> I Have 2 slugs running etch and while i really think they are great i
> find the lack of internal memory a bit of hinderance for getting the
> performance i want out of them. So i was thinking of purchasing a
> DNS-323 (faster cpu and more ram) and install debian on it.

> I found a rather good Wiki page for it
> http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:chroot_debian but i couldn't find any
> firmware replacement so it requires a lot of interception scripts and such.

This or some other Marvell Orion based NAS was bought up here before.
It boils down to the fact Marvell's kernel is fork from official Linus's
kernel. Someone needs to get Marvell's/D-Links drivers into mainline
kernel. Most probably requires rewriting drivers using the Marvell/Dlink
code as documentation. Once there is a good, upto-date kernel to work
on, we can use it to create a debian-installer.

Meanwhile, I would recommend getting a Thecus N2100:

	http://www.cyrius.com/debian/iop/n2100/

It is supported with Debian etch installer and the vendor has been
very helpfull.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups