Can't get to my nslu2 via SSH

I first tried the upgrade and that appeared to boot OK but I was unable to get access via SSH using the root password I selected during the install process.

Fearing that I had forgotten the root password decided to follow the tar ball route. I now have a tar balled NLSU2 that should have a generic root password as per the instructions.

I am still unable to authenticate via SSH it chucks me off after 3 attempts.

I'm not really an SSH guru - am I missing something fundamental perhaps to do with key and such.

Thanks in advance - Dave