Re: Building armel glibc-2.5

On 3/21/07, Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:
Can you comment on why stdio-lim.h gets special treatment normally,
but not when doing DEB_CROSS_BOOTSTRAP libc-headers pass and why
rpcsvc needs a load of empty files touching in the debian dir? Both of
these things look a bit hacky and I wonder if there is a better fix
that is more likely to be accepted by the maintainers?
That was done because glibc is severely broken when it comes to
install* targets and especially install-headers which tries to compile
a number of things, which in turn does not work during bootstrap
stage. Patching glibc's build system is another possibility, but I
certainly don't have the time and the guts to go pushing it to mr.
Drepper, so I took an easy way out.

I tried moving the patch forward to glibc2.5 but now I get an infinite
configure loop doing the 'debian fragment', which is probably because
the debian dir in build-tree/glibc-2.5/ points to <current dir> so it
finds the same configure file over and over again until all the memory
is used. I've not yet found where that debian dir is coming from.
Yes, and be warned that glibc's makefiles are nicely populated with
phony targets which depend on real targets and vice versa so endless
makefile calls are not that uncommon.

Regards,
--
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.