Re: Continued existance of armeb?

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 08:32:59PM +0100, Marcus Better wrote:
> Wookey wrote:
> > It is not clear to me how much demand there is for such a
> > distro as few machines actually _need_ to run BE, so most will be
> > using armel.
>
> I seem to remember someone saying that armeb may have network performace
> benefits compared to armel. Is there any hard data on this, for the NSLU2
> for instance?

It's obviously true that big endian architectures don't need to
byteswap, since they already have the data in network byte order in
their memory. Not having to do mangle your data before throwing it on
the network or after reading it from a socket clearly implies that you
have less work to do; and gcc will optimize away any calls to ntohl and
friends if they don't have to do anything anyway, so it's not just
something that would theoretically work.

What the real-life impact of this is, though, I don't know.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22