Re: Continued existance of armeb?

On 2007-02-14 13:35 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been off and on maintaining two buildd hosts over the past year for
> an armeb architecture, running on two NSLU2's in big endian mode.
> Andreas Barth (Cc'ed) has been maintaining the ftp-master and
> wanna-build side of things for that.
>
> Since about a month or two, IIRC, ftp-master.debonaras.org does no
> longer reply to either SSH or FTP, so uploading packages is no longer
> possible. I've asked Andreas on a number of occasions through IRC to
> look into it, but so far nothing happened -- I assume the etch release
> is sucking up his time.
>
> That being said, nobody ever asked me what was going on, and I never saw
> any question as to the state of armeb or so on this list; this, together
> with comments regarding the current need of armeb leads me to conclude
> that it perhaps isn't really used anymore.
>
> Since I don't own an arm machine (of any type) myself, whether or not
> there is an armeb port does not have any direct influence on me; and
> while I'm happy to continue maintaining bob and wendy if there is
> interest (and ftp-master.debonaras.org is revived), I'd find it rather
> silly to maintain buildd hosts for software that nobody ever will use.
>
> Comments?

The armeb distro has largely been superceded by the standard
debian-arm distro on slugs.

There will also be 'new armeb' which will be an EABI version of
armeb. It is not clear to me how much demand there is for such a
distro as few machines actually _need_ to run BE, so most will be
using armel.

So, I am not an armeb user, and don't claim to speak for such people,
but my understanding is that the existing armeb distro should probably be
discontinued around now, and there may or may not be a new armeb set
up over the coming months alongside armel.

Clearly actual users of it are better placed to opine about exactly
what should happen and how the move to EABI is best handled.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/

believed to be clean.