Re: Softfloat on ARM?

On Monday 12 February 2007 15:08, David Fokkema wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 15:53 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:51:39PM +0100, David Fokkema wrote:
> > > Regarding floating point operations in ImageMagick / NetPBM there
> > > were suggestions to try out the EABI port. Right now, that seems a
> > > bit painful.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> Excuse the length of this mail.
>
> Please see this as a comment from a somewhat knowledgeable user without
> (unfortunately) loads of free time (due to the fact that I have a
> daughter not quite a month old, ;-)
>
> I was looking forward to JRDS (just run debian stable) in a few weeks
> (maybe months :-/ ). Right now, I have a firewall, mail, several
> domains with gallery1, gallery2 and wordpress running on a Linksys
> NSLU2. Running that on a 266 Mhz with 32 Mb was proving to be quite a
> challenge. But trimming down memory usage and compiling eAccelerator
> made it all work. Almost. Resizing photo's proved to be a problem.
>
> Right now, the prospect of running an experimental port of unstable
> which might not have all the packages I need (I didn't check...) is
> somewhat daunting, certainly opposed to (if I can figure out how) just
> recompiling a few packages.
>
> I'm untarring the armel chroot right now, just to check it out. Maybe I
> will take the plunge...

I'm probably in the same boat: I've got one Slug (NSLU2) running Unslung
which is a bit of a nightmare due to the way it works (with / in a
ramdisk and then another root being mounted over it or something nasty
like that) such as two versions of cron running (or not) at the same
time, etc.

Loaded a second Slug with the Debian Arm port (after a bit of faff getting
the thing to boot the installer image). Having updated the kernel to the
open-source netowrk driver has improved it no end.

Now there is an EABI port which handles FPU stuff much better (as I
understand it) but isn't a complete port yet.

Is the EABI port the better option for a Slug which lacks a FPU?

Is the arm-el port the same as the EABI port or is that different again?
It looked like there were about three different arm ports and I couldn't
really work out which was best for me!

Is it possible to dist-upgrade from debian-arm to the EABI port or is it a
complete reinstall? If so, is it a "by hand" install or is there an
installer image for it?

If this is "the best" option for a Slug, I'm happy to give it a go on one
of my Slugs (once I've checked that the packages  need are available!).

Cheers,

Laz