Re: Softfloat on ARM?

Laz wrote:
> Now there is an EABI port which handles FPU stuff much better (as I
> understand it) but isn't a complete port yet.
>
> Is the EABI port the better option for a Slug which lacks a FPU?

Yes, it's a better option for most arm systems (probably).

> Is the arm-el port the same as the EABI port or is that different again?
> It looked like there were about three different arm ports and I couldn't
> really work out which was best for me!

armel and eabi are the same thing. There is also an armeb port but very
few systems need to run big endian anymore.

> Is it possible to dist-upgrade from debian-arm to the EABI port or is it a
> complete reinstall? If so, is it a "by hand" install or is there an
> installer image for it?

It's a complete reinstall, or a very tricky by-hand on the fly mass
upgrade of everything. Noone has figured out a good way to do the latter
procedure, but it's theoretically possible.

There is not yet even a distributed kernel package for eabi for the
slug, yet alone an installer, but watch this space.

--
see shy jo