Re: APEX and the it's environment

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:06:43AM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2007-01-13 19:26]:
> > On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 01:14:00PM +1030, Rod Whitby wrote:
> > > Slugimage always pads with 0xff's - it must be the debian
> > > flash-kernel script which is padding with zeros.
>
> > Oh.  I'll add support for erasing the block as well, so it *can*
> > cope if need be, but I'd rather start with an empty region.
>
> Yeah, d-i pads it to zero.  While I could change it for future
> installations, we still need to support installations that have all
> zeros.

I figured.

I would like to clarify the recovery path for a bad APEX reflash.  If,
for some reason, they lose power while erasing and rewriting APEX,
they will have a system that won't boot.  It may be useful to have a
feature of upslug that can write just the second-stage loader.  This
way, they can restore their system without performing a complete
reinstall.

And, the environment writing code will support an erase function that
can erase the block and rewrite APEX before using the environment.

Cheers.