Re: apex minutia

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 12:32:31PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2006-08-15 18:04]:
> > I don't know what initramfs will do if it is given root=/dev/ram.
>
> Well, me neither.
>
> > If this is a problem, then by all means, let's not pass the option.
> > If it doesn't matter, what is the harm?
>
> > So, the question is this: what do you mean by
> >
> >   The downside of always passing root=/dev/ram if root is not set in the
> >   environment is that imho starting the Debian initramfs with
> >   root=/dev/ram is worse than starting it without any root option at
> >   all.
> >
> > Worse how?
>
> The potential problem I see is this: if no root= is passed, initramfs
> might take some default value, which might be a reasonable choice.
> However, when it sees a root= it'll probably take that, but it'll
> probably fall over when it sees root=/dev/ram.
>
> Anyway, I don't have the answer to this and I don't have the time to
> look at the code right now.  However, it doesn't matter much anyway
> because we can always change whether root=/dev/ram is passed by
> default.  Just leave it in for now and if it causes problems we can
> always remove it.

Alright.  I only wanted to know if there was a problem with leaving it
in.  As it happens, it is removed in the version I uploaded to master
a few days ago.  It seems to me that we want to be inclusive.  How
someone chooses to use their slug isn't so important to me.  Making it
easy for people to use their slugs as they choose, is.  If there is no
harm, then we should leave it in.  Since we don't know, it stays out
for the time being.  I'll investigate this at a later date.

Cheers.