Re: apex minutia

* Marc Singer <elf@buici.com> [2006-08-14 11:05]:
> Martin, you asked that I remove the root=/dev/ram option from the
> default kernel command line stored by APEX.  I wonder if this is
> really a good idea.
>
> If it doesn't matter to initramfs (that which you plan to use) and it
> allows for an initrd, and it won't impede booting to the target root
> filesystem, what is the harm?
>
> Put another way, might it not be wise to *allow* the use of an initrd
> ramdisk?

People can always manually pass a root=/dev/ram parameter if they need
to start an initrd.  The downside of always passing root=/dev/ram if
root is not set in the environment is that imho starting the Debian
initramfs with root=/dev/ram is worse than starting it without any
root option at all.  I might be wrong though; maybe it doesn't make a
difference in real life.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/