Re: ARM EABI port: minimum CPU choice

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 12:23:13PM +0200, Martin Guy wrote:
> What is lost is the ability to compile a program in Thumb mode and
> link it against the standard Debian libraries. I would think that
> people who need space optimisation would do better to join the people
> who build their own repositories optimised for their specific CPU
> (which will give thumb-capable repositories for all thumb-capable
> CPUs).

We would loose binary compatability with everyone else using EABI.
This includes atleast maemo (who use a debian derivate and are already
using armel as arch name) and OpenEmbedded.

I dont think working on correct armv4 epilogue support is on the
critical path of debian/armel port. We can start the port by requiring
arm5t, and add armv4 epilogue support later. We will have to recompile
everything anyway if/when we get addedd to the official Debian buildd
network, so there is no timewise cost of having to recompile all armv5
requiring binaries with the new epilogue built in.

Cheers,
Riku