Re: ARM EABI port: minimum CPU choice

> Does anyone really win by having us bulk out and slow down the whole
> distro a ilttle with thumb capability so as to be able to compile just
> one or two programs in thumb mode?

I think Thumb mode is important. Especially now that there is Thumb-2 and CPUs
that only support Thumb mode[1].

The majority of our (CodeSourery's) clients[2] seem to want to build code in
Thumb mode. If Debian doesn't support Thumb it means they have to rebuild
everything *before* they even consider using it.

Having an "EABI" port that isn't interworking safe just seems like you're
asking for lots of bug reports about third part applications that are broken
in subtle ways.

If you/we don't make v4+interworking work, I think you should seriously
consider having two Arm ports: a legacy port and a v4t/v5 EABI port.

Paul

[1] Linux doesn't currently run on Thumb only CPUs, but I'm sure there are
people who want to share code between the two.
[2] AFAIK none of our clients use Debian, but you were asking for opinions...