Re: APEX and Debian

On Sunday 16 July 2006 02:12, Kevin Price wrote:
> Hey Martin!
>
> Martin Michlmayr schrieb:
> > kernel, and it generates a proper initramfs (taking the non-free
> > ixp4xx drivers if they're available) and flashes it.  What's missing
> > is that...
>
> Thanks a lot for nslu2-utils. I think that most users prefer not to flash
> the slug too often, just like I. I know that flash EEPROMS cannot stand
> infinetely many flashes and I know that if I flash something bad then my
> slug goes to NAS-heaven. So my favorite option is to flash only one debian
> image and never again anything else.
>
> Are you convinced that most users think like I do or should I write more
> arguments?
>
> brgds
>   Kevin
While flash memory used to be a bit fragile, these days it is really very
resilient.  Think of the flash cards used in cameras, they do not last for
ever but they take lots of photos.  I have had compact flash memory running
on systems which keep log files on flash (and are writing all the time) for
nearly three years now without failure.

David