Re: cirrus ep93xx support

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:

> I've slowly been rewriting the Cirrus ep93xx kernel port and feeding
>
>it into 2.6.  Merged upstream right now we have support for the base
>CPU, GPIOs, on-chip watchdog, UARTs, RTC, USB, and Crunch.  See:
>
>	http://ep93xx.giantshoulderinc.com:8001/wiki/wiki/KernelStatus
>
>The TS-72xx boards are supported in 2.6 (I have a TS-7250 myself), but
>the TS-7300 isn't, which is mostly just because noone ever bothered.
>It shouldn't be too much work to have it supported.  One caveat (IIRC)
>is that the TS-7300 needs a bit of binary only code linked to the kernel
>image to support the SD card slot, and this probably will only work with
>the 2.4.x kernel that the vendor supports.  (Or someone would have to
>reverse engineer how the communication with the SD card works.)

Sadly, I feel compelled to share a story. My wife recently presented at TI's
main developer conference in Dallas in January 2006. Her presentation
was about code portability in ansi C. Her example/application was a single
driver the works for both Compact Flash and SD cards. No she did not
have to join the SD consortium to get a driver to work, robustly, on both
a TI 5509 DSP and a MSP 430. If fact she showed the changes live, compiled
the differences and demo'd  CF and SD working on both dev(processor) boards,
all without joining any consortium. Not only that she has ported the driver
to Microchip and atmel processors too. It would be trivial to port it
to Linux or BSD. Naturally TI was a little miffed, that a
savant (blonde female) firmware engineer, could show the world how not
to use TI
binaries,  but, because of her skills, she's still listed there and at
many other
semiconductor conductor sites, as a third party consultant. Various
semiconductor
companies often bring us 'road kill ' customer projects where others
have failed.

Often I talk to her about contributing to the Open Source communities,
but, oh well, I guess it is easier to insult people than it is build
bridges....

Not that Lennert is guilty of this sort of behavior, but, well maybe others
should learn some manners?

>cheers,
>Lennert

ymmv,