Re: How to enable usbfs on NSLU2 running Debian 2.6.15-1-nslu2

On Monday 15 May 2006 21:50, Danny Nelhams wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thank you for your reply and info.
>
> I hope we can find out how to rebuild the kernel natively, as this is a
> option I would be keen
> to try.
>
> Regards,
> Danny
>
> >From: Kevin Price <KevinP@web.de>
> >To: danny_nelhams@hotmail.com
> >CC: debian-arm@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: How to enable usbfs on NSLU2 running Debian 2.6.15-1-nslu2
> >Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 21:45:31 +0200
> >
> >Hi all!
> >
> >@Danny: As far as I know it's the Kernel compile option
> > CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS that
> >is missing. Essentialy that keeps you from using the USB from userland,
> > for instance as a CUPS printer server -- or even plain "lsusb". (Please
> > correct me
> >if I'm wrong) This seems to be a rather bad idea on a device that was
> >entirely
> >designed as a link between ethernet and USB.
> >
> >@tbm: Thanks very much for the work so far and the excellent instructions
> >at
> >http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/ . Could you please enable that option
> >in
> >future NSLU2 kernels, as well as CONFIG_IPV6, which is completely missing.
> >More
> >generally speaking: Why are there so many kernel options disabled in the
> >nslu2
> >kernel, which are enabled in other versions? Can't we just keep the kernel
> >configuration as close as possible to the other versions?
> >
> >Until this is done: How can I build my own NSLU2 kernel and firmware? I
> >would
> >prefer the approach of a native compile to avoid any cross toolchain
> >attempts.
> >Is there a firmware for the NSLU2 kernel from sid?

--%<--
> >regards
> >   Kevin

Although I've not built an entire kernel natively, I have performed a make
modules with the intent of generating a tun module. beware that this took 36
to 48 hours to complete on a turbo-slug. the kernel itself would probably
take longer.
I too am looking for information on making custom firmware but I've had to put
these projects on hold due to work and a currently un-usable
install(something is killing the boot before ssh is started.)

--
-Edward Hull