Re: Debian EABI arm port name: armel

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:01:01PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:45:37AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 10:57:05AM +0200, Pjotr Kourzanov wrote:
> > > Why are hyphens bad? We already have hurd-i386...
> >
> > Which is os-arch.  Not quite the same thing.  I guess implicitly
> > everything else has a linux- in front.
> >
> > > also because mipsel already exists and is:
> > >
> > > 1. not EABI
> > > 2. different from mips in the endian specifier, not anything else.
> > >
> > > IMHO, adding "el" to "arm" (which already has an "el" implicitly)
> > > can not give a clear message about its ABI...
> >
> > earm and earmeb? :)
>
> earmel and earmeb?

armel/arm, and armeb/armbe? Seriously.

Several people have suggested that the name 'mipsel' was chosen because
little endian is 'wrong', and that consequently, it should be 'armbe'
rather than 'armeb'.

If the ABI is being incompatibly changed anyway, that sounds like a
perfect time to 'fix' that issue as well. And then you have four arch
names.

The fact that there is no referral to 'EABI' anywhere in the name hardly
matters, IMHO; I doubt many people will care whether the ABI being used
is the old ABI, the EABI, or even a.out for all I care, as long as it
_works_.

Those that do care will likely just ask on this mailinglist, and can be
told.

--
Fun will now commence