NSLU2 Debian - Which toolchain?

Hello around,
Last weekend I have installed Debian-Etch-RC1 on my slug. There was no problem installing it. I have serial console (http://www.chip45.com/index.pl?page=littleUSB&lang=de) connected so going into the upgrade mode was easy. Even the installation was working over the console, my friend did it today. Many thanks for this nice job, having apt-get and friends around is a big benefit for a embedded device, IMHO.

Problems:
- RTC - adding rtc_dev to /etc/modules resolved the problem of a missing /dev/rtc0, but I must change the the symlink for the rtc helper script from S05 to S49 (it was to early). After that the RTC is working and debian can use it.

- Pressing the power button makes a restart not a halt. No solution found. The leds are not working correctly, but this brings me to the main question:

Which repository and/or packages/toolchain can I use to develop for the NSLU2 platform on debian-386 (etch)?

Is emdebian.org ok? Also I found "Scratchbox" in the net. Are they usefull?
What is the "Debian-Way" of programming for the IXP4xx platform?

To start, I would like to put my hands on some small problems, like making the leds and the buzzer working.

Regards Wolf