Re: ongoing build problems with fityk on arm

On 06-09-17 10:52 -0500, Carlo Segre wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I am continuing to have problems with fityk timing out on the arm buildd.
> The package takes a lot of resources to compile (up to 300M or RAM for
> some files) and the resulting binary is an X11 program.
>
> I have been working with upstream to solve some optimization problems with
> the g++-4.1 compiler but this will not likely help the timing out of the
> arm buildd since the problem has existed for the last revision of the
> package as well.
>
> The question is this.  Is fityk really a package that is useful for the
> arm architecture?  Only those who use arm can tell me this.  If it isn't
> maybe I should exclude arm from the architecture list or the package can
> be marked "not-for-us".  I don't even what to try porting it myself using
> leisner as that machine has only 64M or RAM and I am sure that it will be
> painful if even possible.

A quick read of the decription suggests that a vanishingly small part
of the populace would want to run this package on arm. I can think of
any sensible reason to want to do diffraction pattern analysis on an
arm box, although in theory someone might need some nonlinear
curve-fitting software.

If it uses a lot of floating point (which seems likely) then it really
would be bonkers to run it on arm. I'd be perfectly happy to have it
marked 'not-for-us'.

There is a whole class of software for doing various sorts of
numerical analysis that are not really appropriate for arm, but 'there
isn't any point' has not to date been considered a justification for
not including something in an architecture.

There would be some benefit from a discussion about defining a set of 'no
point on low-powered architectures' packages.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/