Re: Discussion regarding addition of Apex as a second stage bootloader.

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 08:37:04PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Rod Whitby <rod@whitby.id.au> [2006-08-28 07:30]:
> > The code for reading the FIS directory can be found in a number of places:
> >
> > 1/ The "reflash" script in SlugOS ("devio" code)
>
> That operates on an image file, doesn't it?  Can you actually read the
> FIS directory from within Linux?  Oh, stupid question.  Yeah.
>
> Well, my main problem is that I have very little spare time at the
> moment, but at the same time we need to implement this RSN in order to
> put this in the next release.  I think the Kernel1/KErnel2 distinction
> solves the problem in a fairly good way (and makes the code to write
> pretty trivial), but if you want to read the FIS directory instead,
> maybe you can go ahead and implement the scripts.

I'm not sure I understand the nature of the hurdle.  AFAIK, there is
no technical hurdle to using the scripts as they were last proffered.
To be more clear, the slugimage script and APEX as we last tested were
compatible and functional.  We agreed that there is another way to lay
things out that would be more agreeable, but that doesn't have to be a
requirement for an initial release.

In other words, I advocate that we go with what we have if there are
insufficient resources to revise slugimage right now.

Cheers.