Re: Debian ARM success story: Debian desktop on a TS-7300

Hi, cool stuff!

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 08:57:26AM -0700, Dustin Harriman wrote:
>    It was strightforward to image a pre-installed Debian Sarge (as set up and
>    distributed by Technologic Systems) onto a 2 GB SD card I bought,
>    following these instructions:

Do you know what kind of TS-7300 specific changes (if any) are there
on the image? While obviously can't support every and each arm board
out there, this board appears interesting. cheap and relatively well
suited periphals for debian. Plus having something of the Cirrus ARM
variant would be good for completeness.

>    One minus: even though the TS-7300 has a "Maverickcrunch" FPU, in practice
>    it doesn't get used by Debian because maverick support is not compiled
>    into the stock arm Debian packages yet.  This means the odds of getting
>    any multimedia goodness (like sound), which requires FPU, are bad.

In current arm port it is hard to use Maverick, statically
compiled mplayer compiled with a special maverick toolchain
should be possible. For simple sound, tremor[1] is fixed-point
Ogg Vorbis decoder that should run fine with 200Mhz.

EABI/armel is another story.

[1] http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/Tremor/