Re: arm processor informations and opinions

On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 10:19:33AM -0500, Andr?s Calder?n wrote:
> The ARM is (usually) integer processing oriented.
>
> Benchmarks for the XSCALE255 :
> http://www.gumstix.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Benchmarks
>
> An useful site for comparison:
> http://www.eembc.org/
>
> ARM is probably no the better choice for image treatment (obviously this
> depend of the algoritms)
> This is an interesant alternative:
> http://www.ime.usp.br/~fr/sbc/
> An FPGA can speedup greatly the power processing....
> X86 in the easy choice (neither the funnier, and smaller ) see Mini-ITX :
> www.mini-itx.com

Well I have certainly seen the difference between a 400 MHz PXA255 and a
266MHz Geode GX.  The Geode has floating point.  perl runs much faster
on it than the arm.  On the other hand the arm has no problem moving
90Mbit bidirectianally between two ethernet ports, while the geode can
only muster about 35Mbit each way on the same mainboard at which point
the CPU is maxed out.  Certainly for raw throughput and integer work in
general, the arm is easily many times faster, while on floating point of
course the geode (x86) wins easily.  We ended up using the geode in our
design only because we couldn't get the PCI bus to be reliable on the
arm, which killed its use for us.  For everything else it was perfect.

The mips systems like alchemy look very nice too.

Len Sorensen