Re: Need build for xulrunner

In message <[🔎] 20060625185634.GB15411@country.grep.be>
          Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:04:57AM -0700, Peter Naulls wrote:

> * To be able to cross-build packages, a cross-toolchain has to be
>   installed. There are no prebuilt packages for this, you need to build
>   them yourselves.
> * Debian build-dependencies do not distinguish between stuff that's
>   needed because you need to run it, and stuff that's needed because you
>   need the .so or .a file, or some (possibly architecture-specific)
>   header files.
> * Cross-building packages makes it rather troublesome to do test suites,
>   since you can't run target code on the compile host.

Understandable but resolveable.  These have been discussed in
considerable detail in the past, and have good solutions for EmDebian,
etc.

> Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't do cross-compiled packages at
> all; and if you can somehow guarantee the quality of the compiled code,
> then by all means, go for it.
>
> It's just that you seemed to assume that the slower Debian architectures
> would probably cross-compile their stuff, and I wanted to point out that
> this is, in fact, wrong, for very good reasons. That's all.

I've made nothing like this kind of assumption.  On the contrary, you've
assumed I'm trying to make an overall case for cross compiling, when I'm
not, and making objections in a general sense, which I've said do not
apply.

But never mind, it doesn't seem like you have much interest in this, and
ARM xulrunner et al will have to continue to flounder.  I don't have
much interest in pursuing a native build on my ARM build, even though I
know it wouldn't take that long.

--
Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org        | http://www.chocky.org/
RISC OS Community Wiki - add your own content   | http://www.riscos.info/