Re: Building gecode fails on arm due to timeout$

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 10:18:24AM +0300, Kari Pahula wrote:
> >From gecode's arm build log:
> arm-linux-gnu-g++ -I. -I. -DNDEBUG -fPIC -Wall -ggdb -O3 -fno-strict-aliasing -finline-limit=3000 -ffast-math  -DGECODE_BUILD_SET \
>         -c -o set/rel-op-const.o  set/rel-op-const.cc
> make[1]: *** Deleting file `set/rel-op-const.o'
> make[1]: *** [set/rel-op-const.o] Terminated
> make: *** [build-arch-stamp] Terminated
> Build killed with signal 15 after 500 minutes of inactivity
> Build finished at 20060606-0610
> FAILED [dpkg-buildpackage died]
>

> I don't think that the build process has hung there, that file just
> takes that long to compile.  It takes a while on my Athlon, too.
>
> What would be the proper action here?  Increasing the timeout for
> gecode would work (by how much?  I don't know),

Which is probably what the buildd maintainer will do. It's an ugly hack
to work around one very specific type of hangs/loops, where no output is
produced. In no way should you think of it as 'your problem'.

If you don't see your package being moved to state 'building' or
'needs-build' again within the next few days, ping
arm@buildd.debian.org. Otherwise, just excercise a bit of patience.

Personally, I think that 'feature' is way more trouble than it's worth.
Anyway.

> or I could request upstream to split that file (though that doesn't
> really sound like a proper thing to ask).

It doesn't, there's no need.

--
Fun will now commence