Re: Looking for new ARM hardware (SableVM on ARM)

On 14/02/06, Gregory B. Prokopsky <gadek@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been googling, surfing the web and IRCing most of the day looking for a
> supplier from who I could get an ARM-based machine.  I am having difficulties
> finding one and I would appreciate some help.
>
> Because important part of SableVM Project (which develops a highly portable,
> free Java Virtual Machine) is dealing with portability issues we decided to
> buy some ARM hardware and make it part of our compile farm, to ensure that
> SableVM compiles and runs on ARM just as well as on other platforms.  There
> is quite a lot people who use SableVM on ARM, and we would like to be able to
> deal better with some of the reported ARM-specific problems.

Gumstix have a good amount of kick (64Mb SDRAM, 400Mhz Xscale, 4Mb flash) and
cost $99 bucks for the base unit. I know people have run JamVM on them, so Sable
should be possible.

They're the size of a packet of cigarette papers, so not exactly what
you asked for, but
they've recently started setting up 'gumwad's - gumstix-based compile
farm clusters.

$2000 dollars would get you a dozen, and they'd all fit in 1U :)

See the mailing list archives for more information.

see http://gumstix.org

http://number9.hellooperator.net/