Re: requalification of arm as etch release architecture

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:40 +0100, Wookey wrote:
<SNIP>
> So, my feeling is that there is a reasonable chunk of users out there,
> probably actually a growing chunk at the moment, who want a 'stable'
> security-maintained release for their boxes.

Bingo. This is the important bit, which pool it will be
(stable/unstable/testing) doesn't really matter for most people.
But I guess we can gather the momentum to build the full packages and
keep them up to date too. I for one already offered two dedicated
NSLU2's for Debian, which should help out accomplish this task.

Basically for Debian there will be two things:
 - arm + armeb Packages
 - installation stuff

The first part is the important part to get into the archives.
This benefits all the various boxes around, so if we can keep this build
and to date, it will make many people happy and isn't that what life is
about ? :).

The second part, installation, is a bit cumbersome. This will indeed be
different, most likely per board, especially when thinking of the
various ways to boot a linux kernel on such machines, the limitted
amount of memory, the ways to flash them etc. The NSLU2 has a minor
additional problem of the click-through license because of the Intel
IXP-425 network driver code.

The debian-installer code itself can be re-used of course. The trick is
getting the machine, usually headless, to boot a kernel, which supports
the storage medium of choice and then ssh into it and run d-i.

I've put myself on the etch page, but I can't list myself under the
'port maintainers' section as I am no "debian developer"...(yet?)...
I already have a private buildd running for stuff I need, but as I have
no wanna-build access, nor can't upload that doesn't currently help
others much.

Greets,
 Jeroen