Re: requalification of arm as etch release architecture

Riku Voipio wrote:

>  - Not having enough users listed;
>

>This shouldn't be a problem, if we can just find them. Many vendors
>seem to ship their arm stuff with debian. I think we need to get in
>touch with them, to get actual hardware sold with debian officially
>supported..

Well might I suggest something very piratical? Although
I'm far too busy and committed on current projects, I
do like to follow embedded linux (of a Debian flavor)
on arm processors. So I would suggest the group name
a few, well supported embedded development boards
that users can purchase, and use to test and follow
the (Debian) arm issues. That way, when an embedded linux
project comes along, we can recommend a board/chip
we have some familiarity with, not as a port maintainer,
but as a product developer. A short list of embedded boards
that run embedded Debian, at reasonable prices, would
be quite attractive to the larger product development
community, thus gaining embedded Debian (this list)
a larger, technical following.

>>Or would using testing and/or snapshots for arm deployment work well
>>
>>enough for most Debian arm users? I know that testing has been fine for
>>us at ADS as the base for our Debian arm releases. I doubt there are a
>>lot of people running arm on serious servers, and so I question whether
>>those using arm for the more or less embedded type stuff that's common
>>for this architecture really need a stable release. Some people seemed
>>to agree on irc that this was becoming practical now that testing is
>>starting to get things like security support. Comments?
>>

>This is very true, and especially now that there is testing security
>available, there is very few people who need official debian stable
>releases. However, it has been unclear if SCC archs would be included in
>testing migration or not. Having arm as official debian arch is mostly
>a status issue.

Here's another suggestion. I currently customizing a firewall
with several different DMZs. One of those DMZs is intended
to put various embedded boards on the Ethernet, to allow
a select group of developers access to the hardware to test
their software. The security condiserations are paramount, but,
I'm close to seeking out a few persons to test what I have put
together. Although the range of embedded hardware will encompase
arm systems, it is by no means limited to arm. Everything
from  a 16bit PIC to  DSPs with arm cores will be available.
There will be many other pieces of equipment on the Ethernet,
including cameras and devices that open/close relays for
remote automation development also. Publishing the low
power consumption measurements of an embedded linux board
(Debian) of an arm flavor, would go a long way to convince
potential product developers that embedded linux on
a (Debian) arm base processor is a wise choice, thus growing
port and application developers with entrepreneurial aspirations.

Recommendations on several different arm dev boards
would be welcome. I also intend to setup a backup server,
so that developers can check software in and out, run their
software on different dev boards, and release the dev boards
to other developers. Keeping their software locally on a backup
server, that they control, makes sense and avoids unnecessary
bandwidth consumption. Suggestions on the semantics to this
(secure) backup server such as (cvs vs subversion) are also welcome.

James