Re: madplay on ARM926EJ-S versatile board

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 01:09:06AM -0700, x86processor wrote:
> I am trying to install madplay_0.15.2b-3.1_arm.deb
> available from
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/madplay on the
> ARM Versatile PB-ARM926EJ-S development board. The
> cramfs package is debian based.

> dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: No such file
> or directory

this means that dpkg cannot open /var/lib/dpkg/status file,
which includes the list of packages installed and known by the
system. This seems to imply that the cramfs image you have,
while being debian based, doesn't include debian package management
tools properly.

> I copied the madplay_0.15.2b-3.1_arm.deb file to /tmp
> as my / is present in flash and is read-only.

Debian does not support (atleast officially) relocating
installed packages, you would need to create an own writable
root filesystem (jffs2, root on compactflash, root on nfs, unionfs),
or you need to add the madplay binaries and required libraries
before creating the cramfs image.

If you just want to extract the .deb file, you can use

dpkg-deb -x madplay_0.15.2b-3.1_arm.deb /tmp

Notice that after unpacking, the madplay binary will not work,
since none of the libraries it requires are getting installed.
For that, you would need a working apt-get package managment,
or you need to recompiled madplay as static binary.

Hope that gets you started,
Riku