Re: netwinder floating point

Am Donnerstag, 6. Januar 2005 22:02 schrieb Ralph Siemsen:
> Hmm, bit offtopic here, but why would apt or dselect need floating point
> at all?  Surely there are no tasks in either of those programs that
> would need anything but integer math?  Speedup must be somewhere else...

I do not know, just observed it. It was especially noticable when it was
reading the package list and building the dependency tree. I discovered that
when installing Debian to my Bast, and was wondering why it was that much
slower than my RiscPC with dselect/apt. In the end it turned out that the
only thing that made a difference was FastFPE.

Maybe it is because it is written in perl (or something else?) and uses
floating point numbers generally, even if they are not needed. But on
virtually any other processor you do not notice that.

Peter Teichmann