Re: CONFIG_IP_PNP & d-i manual

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 06:30:22PM -0400, Ralph Siemsen wrote:
> Geert Stappers wrote:
>
> > But netwinder has not IP_PNP support
> > and bast has IP_PNP_RARP enable.
>
> I can't speak for "bast" as I have never heard of it.  But on netwinder
> the only reason this is disabled is because the firmware offers similar
> functionality already, and it seems silly to do two successive DHCP
> requsts/offer cycles within a few seconds of each other.  There is a bit
> more flexibility in the firmware, in that you can enable portions of the
> DHCP server's info to be used, and override other parts.

Okay, now I see why there is no CONFIG_IP_PNP in the kernel for Netwinder.

> But you can certainly enable this feature in your kernel if you like.
(-:  there is no reason the to enable it...

I have been reading the netwinder firmware howto[1]
There are no traces of RARP support and that is good,
RARP is obsoleted by BOOTP and DHCP.

We are one step closer to deleting RARP from debian-installer-manual for ARM.

Hoping from an update from the BAST users.

> -Ralph

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] http://www.netwinder.org/howto/Firmware-HOWTO-4.html