Re: debian for embedded atmel at91rm9200 (arm920t)

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:14:35PM -0500, Brock Denson wrote:
> Sorry for the newbie debian question, but here goes.  I am working on an
> embedded linux project with the at91rm9200 processor from atmel.  The latest
> kernel support for this platform is 2.4.27 which must be built with gcc
> 2.95.3.  I would like to put to use all of the great work that debian has
> done, but I don't know how to go about it.  I have built custom toolchains,
> kernel, and libraries but have problems sometimes getting applications to
> compile with the out of date tools.    Is it possible to use the arm
> application and library binaries from debian with older kernels (ie 2.4.27)?
> Even better, is there any way I could use a debian distribution with this
> platform?

Well I use debian sarge (testing) for the development I am doing at
the moment on a PXA255 based board.  The compiler recomended by the
board maker is 2.95.4 (they provide a cross compiler for x86).  Their
latest patch is for 2.4.26.  I have successfully managed to make the
patch apply to debian 2.4.27 sources, and made it compile with gcc 3.3
which allowed me to change the tuning to native xscale optimizations,
which seems to have made the system somewhat faster.

I really doubt you have to use gcc 2.95.3 at all, unless any kernel
patches contain very bad assembly syntax.

I have had no problem using gcc 3.x compiled applications with 2.4.18 or
2.4.26 or 2.4.27 compiled with either gcc 2.95 or 3.3.  You should be
able to just use standard packages with whatever kernel you manage to
build.

Len Sorensen