debian for embedded atmel at91rm9200 (arm920t)

Hello,
Sorry for the newbie debian question, but here goes.  I am working on an
embedded linux project with the at91rm9200 processor from atmel.  The latest
kernel support for this platform is 2.4.27 which must be built with gcc
2.95.3.  I would like to put to use all of the great work that debian has
done, but I don't know how to go about it.  I have built custom toolchains,
kernel, and libraries but have problems sometimes getting applications to
compile with the out of date tools.    Is it possible to use the arm
application and library binaries from debian with older kernels (ie 2.4.27)?
Even better, is there any way I could use a debian distribution with this
platform?

Brock Denson
WAIV
bdenson@wa-ventures.com