Re: debian arm on SAMSUNG smdk2410?

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 06:26, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> is it possible to use my kernel, boot the board, and set up an
> NFS-mounted root with a full debian install on it?   i've also got
> 128meg and 64meg SMC cards i could use for the root and boot systems,
> but an NFS-mounted debian system would be much more friendly ...

Last time I set up a bare bones Arm Debian Woody system from debootstrap
I think it was 130MB, just over the capacity of the 128MB cards.
Although that was quite a while ago and I might have my numbers mixed
up.

> can someone provide any insight as to what might be the best way to
> go about getting debian running on this board?   (maybe i should
> swing with gentoo?)

I ended up installing Debian onto a USB hard drive on an embedded Arm7
board.  That ran slowly.  I just had my own boot loader, kernel and
initrd from flash and it would just mount the USB hard drive as root.
Of course you could do the same thing with NFS root.

I tried at first to use debootstrap on my x86 PC to the USB hard drive,
in a cross arch install, but that didn't work.  There seem to be a few
bugs using a cross arch system, so I took the existing embedded system,
and ran debootstrap from that.  I recommend using this route.

Never tried gentoo.

David

--
     David Meggy